Mortgage Types Explained: Find the Perfect Mortgage with SortMyCash and Mortgage Advice Bureau
Choosing the right mortgage is a critical decision when buying a property. At SortMyCash, in partnership with Mortgage Advice Bureau, we want to ensure you understand your options and make an informed choice. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain the different types of mortgages, including fixed-rate, variable-rate, tracker, and offset mortgages, to help you find the best mortgage for your needs.
Section 1: Fixed-Rate Mortgages
A fixed-rate mortgage offers a constant interest rate for a set period, typically 2, 3, 5, or 10 years. This type of mortgage provides stability and predictability, as your monthly repayments won’t change during the fixed term. When the fixed term ends, you’ll be moved to your lender’s Standard Variable Rate (SVR) unless you remortgage.
• Predictable monthly repayments
• Easier budgeting
• Protection from interest rate fluctuations
• Potentially higher initial interest rates
• Limited flexibility if interest rates fall
Section 2: Variable-Rate Mortgages
Variable-rate mortgages have interest rates that may fluctuate over time, usually in line with the Bank of England base rate or the lender’s internal rate. There are two main types of variable-rate mortgages:
1. Standard Variable Rate (SVR): This is the default rate your lender offers after your fixed or tracker rate period ends. SVRs can be higher than other rates and can change at the lender’s discretion.
2. Discounted Rate: This mortgage offers a discount off the lender’s SVR for a set period, typically 2-3 years. Your rate can still change if the SVR changes, but you’ll always benefit from the discount.
• Potentially lower initial interest rates
• May benefit if interest rates fall
• Monthly repayments may fluctuate
• Harder to budget for rate changes
Section 3: Tracker Mortgages
A tracker mortgage’s interest rate follows the Bank of England base rate at a set margin above or below it. Your mortgage rate will change in line with the base rate, meaning your monthly repayments can increase or decrease.
• Potential for lower interest rates if the base rate falls
• Transparent rate changes
• Unpredictable monthly repayments
• Vulnerability to rising interest rates
Section 4: Offset Mortgages
An offset mortgage links your mortgage to a savings account. The savings balance is used to offset your mortgage debt, reducing the amount of interest you pay. You won’t earn interest on your savings, but you’ll save on your mortgage interest.
• Potential for lower interest payments
• Flexible access to savings
• Possible shorter mortgage term
• Higher interest rates compared to other mortgage types
• Requires a substantial savings balance
Section 5: How SortMyCash and Mortgage Advice Bureau Can Help
With so many mortgage options available, it’s crucial to find the one that suits your financial situation and goals. At SortMyCash, we’ve partnered with Mortgage Advice Bureau, a leading mortgage broker, to provide expert guidance and support in choosing the perfect mortgage.
Section 6: Additional Resources
To further support your mortgage journey, SortMyCash offers a range of resources and guides to help you navigate the home buying process. Explore our comprehensive guides on topics such as:
• First-Time Buyer Guide: Learn the basics of buying your first home, from deposit requirements and government schemes to the overall buying process.
• Help to Buy Scheme: Understand the government’s Help to Buy program and how it can assist first-time buyers and existing homeowners in purchasing a property.
• Remortgaging Guide: Discover the benefits of remortgaging, including saving on monthly repayments, consolidating debts, and releasing equity from your home.
• Buy-to-Let Mortgages: Explore the world of buy-to-let mortgages and learn how to invest in rental properties to generate additional income.
By leveraging the expertise of Mortgage Advice Bureau and the resources provided by SortMyCash, you’ll have all the information and support you need to make an informed decision about your mortgage. We are committed to helping you find the best mortgage for your unique situation and goals, ensuring you make the most of your hard-earned money.
Get Started with SortMyCash and Mortgage Advice Bureau Take the first step towards securing your ideal mortgage by reaching out to our team at SortMyCash. Fill in our simple online form, and a dedicated mortgage adviser from Mortgage Advice Bureau will get in touch with you via your preferred contact method. We’re here to help you navigate the mortgage process and find the perfect solution tailored to your needs.
Mortgage Advice Bureau has access to over 12,000 mortgage products from over 90 lenders, ensuring you have a wide range of options to explore. Their experienced advisers will guide you through the process, offering personalised advice to help you make the best decision for your circumstances.
Understanding the different mortgage types is essential when searching for the perfect mortgage. With SortMyCash and Mortgage Advice Bureau, you’ll have the knowledge and support to confidently choose a mortgage that aligns with your needs and aspirations. Get started on your property journey today by reaching out to our team at SortMyCash, and let Mortgage Advice Bureau’s expert advisers guide you every step of the way.